SalsaPower, the largest Salsa website on the Internet



Benny Moré, El Bárbaro del Ritmo - Bartolomé Maximiliano Moré

Bartolomé Maximiliano Moré
1919 - 1963



Benny Moré - The Barbarian of Rhythm 


Benny Moré - El Bárbaro del Ritmo



By/Por: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Translation by/Traducción por: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Article written in 2003 / Artículo escrito en 2003



"Unanimously considered to be one of the best artists who has ever produced our popular music, Benny Moré shined in every genre."
-- Helio Orovio

On August 24, 1919, Bartolomé Maximiliano Moré was born in Santa Isabel de las Lajas, Cienfuegos, Cuba.

This year we celebrate the 40th anniversary of Benny Moré's death on February 19th, 1963 in the Hababam.

We fondly remember him as the most extraordinary interpreter of popular music in Cuba, who delighted many dancers both here and in other countries. He entertained them with his voice and his presentations and he took Cuban music to the best venues in the world.

El Bárbaro del Ritmo, had no idea about the complicated reference system which was the basis of written music. He could neither read nor write music, but musicality came out of his pores!

He dominated the rhythms, bars, breathing, counterpoint, improvisation, vocal flourish, choreography of popular Caribbean music, and all of it impregnated with his indomitable personality.

Although he was a bit gangly, he dressed with gracious extravegance. He was readily identified by his cane and his hat. When he sang sones, mambos, guarachas or the soft, romantic melodies of the boleros, he made his fans delirious.

He sang with the Trío Matamoros and later with Pérez Prado.

Benny Moré, El Bárbaro del Ritmo

He landed at the top of the list of popular Cuban singers with his participation in a jazz band that used Cuban percussion, singing boleros or son montunos with his unique and rather peculiar style.

It has been said that Benny could express everything in his songs: the pathetic, old sayings, languid, amorous, satirical, frank, ironic, cuddly, explosive and idyllic, because he was a total singer and a perfectionist interpreter - a complete singer who interpreted perfectly any musical genre with absolute control, and with harmonious combinations in the most diverse musical form.

In spite of the fact that Benny Moré did not have any formal academic background, he had exceptional natural ability and from early on in his childhood he familiarized himself with all of the musical styles of our country.

Benny himself said that he had always had a vocation for music: "I believe that I began to sing when they took my diapers off, at least that is the way I recall it, singing since I was a very young child."

And his mother confirmed it. She even told how when he was quite young he would look for a board and tie strings to it and say they were the strings on his guitar. That is how he made his first guitar at age six.

His brother, Teodoro, participated in the band that Benny put together when he was still small, with machetes and clavos for instruments. He used condensed milk cans for bongos.

In 1935, at age 16, he joined his first serious musical group. He didn't know the first thing about music and he bought a guitar but he didn't even know how to play it.

He went with his brother, Teodoro to cut sugar cane in the Jaronú area in the province of Camagüey and it was there he met Castellanos and Víctor Landa, who helped him learn to play guitar. With the money he earned and Teodoro's savings he bought his first good guitar in Morón. The following year, 1936, he moved to Havana. He made a living by selling fruit and vegetables as well as medicinal herbs. Six months later he returned to Santa Isabel de Las Lajas. He then moved to the Jaguayal area, near Ciego de Avila to cut sugarcane with Teodoro. Together they went to the Vertientes area.

In 1940 he returned to Havana. For the next four years he lived as best he could, playing and singing in bars and cafés. He passed his hat and asked the audience to "Cooperate with Cuban artists". The restaurants threw him out on the street so he wouldn't bother the clientele.

Along with a companion named Anselmo, he sang a duet in the streets. It eventually became part of the Cuarteto Cordero.

His first stable job was with the Conjunto Cauto, led by Mozo Borguella. In the CM radio station in the capital, he sang with the Figaro Sextet, Lázaro Cordero. In 1994 he made his debut on station 1010, with great success, acting with the Sexteto Cauto.

By then, Siro Rodríguez, from the Trio Matamoros, heard him singing in the bar El Temple, causing a commotion. Somewhat later, the Conjunto Matamoros was set to sing at radio station 1010 but Miguel Matamoros lost his voice and asked Mozo Borguella (director of Septeto Cauto), to loan him one of their singers. Borguella sent him Bartholomew, who stayed with Matamoros and recorded several discs.

The ensemble was formed by Miguel, Siro and Rafael (vocals), Ramón Dorca (piano), José Macúias and José Quintero (trumpets), Cristóbal Mendive (double bass) and Agustín Gutiérrez (bongo). When Bartolomé came, he moved to the first voice position, replacing Miguel Matamoros, who focused on directing the band.

With the Conjunto Matamoros he went to Mexico in 1945, where he sang in the two most famous cabarets of the time: the Montparnasse and the Río Rosa. He recorded several albums and liked hearing his own recorded voice. Benny himself would later acknowledge that the most exciting thing of his musical career had been listening to his own recorded voice.

The band returned to Havana, but Bartholomew stayed in Mexico. Rafael Cueto told him, "Yes, but remember that in Mexico they call donkeys 'bartolo'. Stay here, but change the name". "From today on, I will call myself Benny, Benny Moré," he replied.

In Mexico Benny had his first solo performance at the cabaret Río Rosa. At that same cabaret he formed the Dueto Fantasma with Lalo Montané. It was also called the Antillean Duet.

Benny Moré, Se te cayó el tabaco - album cover

In Mexico he recorded for RCA Victor, with the Orchestra of Mariano Mercerón: Me voy pal pueblo and Desdichado. He also recorded with Pérez Prado: Bonito y sabroso, Mucho corazón, Pachito eché and Ensalada de mambo. The public baptized him as the Prince of Mambo. He also recorded Dolor carabalí in Mexico. Benny thought that was his best composition recorded with Perez Prado, to the point that he did not want to re-record it.

At the end of 1950 he returned to Cuba. His first success in Cuba was Bonito y sabroso.

He had much success with his performances on the radio network Cadena Oriental, in Santiago de Cuba. For a while he alternated between working for Cadena Oriental and trips to Havana to record with RCA.

At that time he became the Bárbaro del Mambo. ¡Oh, Bárbara! was the song that was a big hit on the Cadena Oriental radio network. One day in Santiago, as he was standing on a corner with Israel Castellanos, a gorgeous girl walked by and Benny exclaimed, "¡Mira que bárbara!" (Look how amazing!) A boy who was there told him, "Qué va, compay, el bárbaro es usted." ("No, way, brother, you are the one that is amazing!") That night on the radio they presented him as the Barbarian of Mambo.

He worked at the radio station RHC Cadena Azul in La Habana, with the Orchestra of Bebo Valdés, presenting the new rhythm batanga. The announcer of the program Ibrahín Urbino, presented him as the Bárbaro del Ritmo.

The batanga rhythm didn't go over well and Benny was hired by Radio Progreso, with the Orchestra of Ernesto Duarte. In addition to the radio, he sang at dances, cabarets and parties. When he sang in the Centro Gallego, the sidewalks and gardens of the National Capital were overflowing with people flocking to listen to him.

In 1952 he recorded with the Orquesta Aragón, from Cienfuegos and decided that from then on, in all his shows, that would be the Orchestra that would accompany him. Thereafter he formed his famous giant band with the following musicians:

Cabrerita (piano), Miguel Franca, Santiaguito Peñalver, Roberto Barreto, Celso Gómez and Virgil (saxophones), Chocolate, Rabanito and Corbacho (trumpets), José Miguel (trombone), Alberto Limonta (double bass), Rolando Laserie (drums), Clemente Piquero 'chicho' (bongo), typical (conga), Fernando Alvarez and Enrique Benítez (vocals). The first time that Benny sang with his own orchestra was in the program Cascabeles Candado at the Cuban radio station CMQ.

His style and his original personality opened the roads toward  fame and he became a true idol of the people. The dancers enjoyed all of his varied and unexpected interpretations with a voice that covered the gamut of the vocal register, tones and timings, his double-entendres in phrases, his shouts accompanied by dance steps that enchanted his public with his charismatic and enormous presence.

He went from a bolero to a guaguancó, almost without transition, achieving the highest quality in both. And as we already mentioned, that was without even knowing much about musical technique.  He directed his large Orchestra, giving it a stamp of unparalleled Cuban genius.

The Big Band of Benny Moré reached great popularity in 1954 and 1955. In '56 and '57 it toured Venezuela, Jamaica, Haiti, Colombia, Panamá, México and the United States. In the US he sang at the Gala presentation of the Oscars. He was accompanied by the Orchestra of Luis Alcaraz, and it was a great hit.

He played in many parts of the country and in Havana he performed at La Tropical and at the Sierra. In 1960 he began performing at the Night and Day Cabaret.

Benny received a proposal to do a tour of Europe, especially France, but rejected it because he was scared of flying. This fear was motivated by the three accidents that he had suffered.

In the 1960s the Benny's state of health worsened. It had been a long time since he gave up drinking, but his liver was irreversibly damaged. February 16, 1963, three days before his death, Benny did a show in Palmira. He spent all day in bed, but at night put on a show and did it successfully. At Intermission, he went out to the car to lay down. He returned to the stage and sang, Dolor y Perdón, Maracaibo y Castellanos que bueno baila usted.

When he returned to Havana his health worsened and he was taken to the emergency hospital. On February 19, 1963, Benny Moré died in bed 22, Room H at 9:15 a.m.

Among his most memorable songs:

Elige tú que canto yo
Buena, bonita y barata
Santa Isabel de Las Lajas
Santiago de Cuba
Esa mulata
Palma Soriano

All those melodies evoke the memory of the Bárbaro del Ritmo, of whom the national poet Nicolás Guillén said: "...He is born now in his death to never die again. He is the man to whom all Cuba has cried 'with soaking tears', but whose voice cries out like never before, non-stop, it is part of the air we breathe every day."

"Unanimemente considerado uno de los más geniales artistas que produjo nuestra música popular, Benny Moré brilló en todos los géneros".
-- Helio Orovio

El 24 de agosto de 1919, nació en Santa Isabel de las Lajas, Cienfuegos, Cuba, Bartolomé Maximiliano Moré.

Benny Moré, de quien en este año celebraremos el 40 aniversario de su desapareción física acaecida en La Hababa el 19 de febrero de 1963.

Recordemos a quien fue el más extraordinario y genial de nuestros intérpretes de música popular, que deleitó a muchos bailadores en Cuba y en muchos países latinoamericanos y los hizo disfrutar de su voz y sus geniales presentaciones, porque llevó la música cubana a los más altos sitiales.

El Bárbaro del Ritmo, desconocía el complicado sistema de referencia en el que se sustentaba la escritura musical, no leía ni escribía música, pero todo en él transpiraba musicalidad.

Dominaba los ritmos, los compases, la respiración, el contrapunto, la improvisación, el floreo vocal y la coreografía popular del baile caribeño, a todo le impregnaba su indiscutible personalidad.

Desgarbado, vestía con graciosa extravagancia. Un bastón y un sombrero lo identificaban. Provocaba el delirio cuando cantaba sones, mambos, guarachas o los suaves y románticas melodías de los boleros.

Actuó con el Trío Matamoros y más tarde con Pérez Prado.

Su actuación frente a una banda (jazzband) con percusión cubana, cantando boleros o sones montunos con un estilo peculiarísimo, lo situó en la cima de los cantantes populares cubanos.

Alguien dijo con acierto que el Benny podía abarcar en sus canciones todos los matices: lo patético, socarrón, dicharachero, lánguido, amoroso, satírico, franco, irónico, altivo, arrullador, estallante e idílico, porque era un cantante completo que interpretaba a la perfección cualquier género musical, con dominio absoluto, combinaciones armónicas y las más diversas formas musicales.

Benny Moré, a pesar de no haber cursado estudios académicos, poseía condiciones naturales excepcionales, y desde niño se había familiarizado con todos los géneros musicales de nuestro país.

El propio Benny aseguró que siempre tuvo vocación por la música: "Yo creo que empecé a cantar cuando me quitaron los pañales, por lo menos así yo me veo en mis recuerdos, cantando desde muy niño."

Su madre confirmaba que desde pequeño le gustó la música. Dijo su madre que pequeño aún buscaba una tabla y un carrete de hilo, ataba el hilo a la tabla y decía que eran las cuerdas de una guitarra. De esta forma fabricó su primera guitarra con seis años.

Su hermano Teodoro participaba en el conjunto que Benny montó muy pequeño, con machetes y clavos como instrumentos. Las latas de leche condensada hacían las veces de bongóes.

Bartolomé Maximiliano Moré - conocido como Benny MoréEn 1935, con 16 años, forma parte del primer grupo musical serio. No sabía nada de música y se compró una guitarra pero no sabía tocarla.

Se va con su hermano Teodoro a cortar caña a la central Jaronú en la provincia cubana de Camagüey y conoce a Castellanos y Víctor Landa, que le ayudan a empezar a tocar la guitarra. Con el dinero que ganó y los ahorros de Teodoro compró su primera guitarra de calidad en Morón. Al año siguiente, 1936, se va a La Habana. Vive de vender frutas y viandas golpeadas o deterioradas y yerbas medicinales. A los seis meses regresa a Santa Isabel de Las Lajas. Se traslada a la central Jaguayal, cerca de Ciego de Avila, a cortar caña con Teodoro. Después se van al Central Vertientes.

En 1940 llega a La Habana por segunda vez. Durante cuatro años vive como puede, tocando y cantando en bares y cafés. Pasa el sombrero y dice "Coopere con el artista cubano". En los restaurantes lo echaban a la calle para que no molestara a la clientela.

Junto con un compañero llamado Anselmo cantaba a dúo por las calles. Formó parte del Cuarteto Cordero.

Su primer trabajo estable fue con el Conjunto Cauto, que dirigía Mozo Borguellá. En la emisora CM de la capital, cantó con el Sexteto Fígaro, de Lázaro Cordero. En 1994 debuta en la emisora 1010, con un gran éxito, actuando con el Sexteto Cauto.

Por entonces, Siro Rodríguez, del Trío Matamoros, lo escucha cantar en el bar El Temple, causándole una gran impresión. Algo después, el Conjunto Matamoros tienen que cantar en la emisora 1010 pero Miguel Matamoros está afónico y le pide a Mozo Borguellá (director del septeto Cauto), que le preste a uno de sus cantantes. Borguellá envío a Bartolomé, que se quedó con Matamoros, grabando varios discos.

El conjunto estaba formado por Miguel, Siro y Rafael (voces), Ramón Dorca (piano), José Macúias y José Quintero (trompetas), Cristóbal Mendive (contrabajo) y Agustín Gutiérrez (bongó). Al entrar Bartolomé pasa a ser la voz prima, substituyendo en este cometido a Miguel Matamoros, que se dedica a dirigir el conjunto.

Con el Conjunto Matamoros va a México en 1945, donde canta en los dos cabarets más famosos de la época: el Montparnasse y el Río Rosa. Grabó varios discos y le gustó oir su voz grabada. El propio Benny reconocería más adelante que lo más emocionante de su carrera musical había sido escuchar su voz grabada.

El Conjunto vuelve a La Habana, pero Bartolomé continúa en México. Rafael Cueto le dice "Sí, pero recuerda que en México le dicen bartolo a los burros. Quédate, pero cámbiate el nombre". "Desde hoy me llamaré Benny, Benny More", contestó el artista.

En México Benny consigue la primera actuación por su cuenta en el cabaret Río Rosa. En ese mismo cabaret forma el Dueto Fantasma con Lalo Montané. También se llamó el Dueto Antillano.

En México graba para la RCA Victor, junto con la orquesta de Mariano Mercerón: Me voy pal pueblo y Desdichado. Además grabó con Pérez Prado: Bonito y sabroso, Mucho corazón, Pachito eché y Ensalada de mambo. El público lo bautiza como el Príncipe del Mambo. También grabó en México Dolor carabalí, que Benny consideraba su mejor composición grabada con Pérez Prado, hasta el punto de que no quiso volver a grabarla.

A finales del 50 regresa a Cuba. Su primer éxito en Cuba fue Bonito y sabroso.

Triunfó en sus actuaciones en la Cadena Oriental de radio, en Santiago de Cuba. Durante un tiempo alternó el trabajo en la Cadena Oriental con los viajes a La Habana para grabar con RCA.

En ese tiempo se convierte en el Bárbaro del Mambo. ¡Oh, Bárbara! era el tema que triunfaba en el programa de Cadena Oriental. Un día en Santiago, parado en una esquina con Israel Castellanos, pasa una chica estupenda y Benny exclama, "¡Mira que bárbara!" Un muchacho que estaba allí le dice a Benny: "Qué va, compay, el bárbaro es usted." Esa misma noche en la radio lo presentan como el Bárbaro del Mambo.

Trabaja en la emisora RHC Cadena Azul en La Habana, con la orquesta de Bebo Valdés, que presentaba el nuevo ritmo batanga. El locutor del programa Ibrahín Urbino, lo presenta como El Bárbaro del Ritmo.

Fracasa el ritmo batanga y Benny es contratado por Radio Progreso, con la orquesta de Ernesto Duarte. Además de la radio, cantaba en bailes, cabarets y fiestas. Cuando cantaba en el Centro Gallego se desbordaban las aceras y jardines del Capitolio Nacional para escucharlo.

Graba en 1952 con la Orquesta Aragón, procedente de Cienfuegos y decide que en los bailes en que él actúe será esta orquesta quien lo acompañe. Posteriormente forma su famosa Banda Gigante integrada por:

Cabrerita (piano), Miguel Franca, Santiaguito Peñalver, Roberto Barreto, Celso Gómez y Virgilio (saxofones), Chocolate, Rabanito y Corbacho (trompetas), José Miguel (trombón), Alberto Limonta (contrabajo), Rolando Laserie (batería), Clemente Piquero "Chicho" (bongó), Tabaquito (tumbadora), Fernando Alvarez y Enrique Benítez (coros). La primera vez que Benny actuó con su propia orquesta fue en el programa Cascabeles Candado de la emisora cubana CMQ.

Su estilo y su personalidad original le abrieron los caminos de la fama y se convirtió en un verdadero ídolo del pueblo. Los bailadores disfrutaban de todas sus variadas e inesperadas interpretaciones con su voz que recorría todo el registro vocal, tonalidades y tiempos, se doblaba en frases y gritos, acompañada de pasos bailables que provocaba una simpatía enorme y con su carismática presencia.

Benny Moré - album cover / carátula de un álbum

Pasaba de un bolero a un guaguancó, casi sin transición, consiguiendo en ambos la máxima calidad. Y como ya expresamos aún desconociendo la técnica musical, dirigía su gran orquesta, imprimiéndole un sello de inigualable genialidad y cubanía.

La Banda Gigante de Benny Moré alcanza gran popularidad en los años 54 y 55. En el 56 y el 57 realiza una gira por Venezuela, Jamaica, Haití, Colombia, Panamá, México y Estados Unidos. En Estados Unidos canta en la gala de entrega de los Oscar. Estuvo acompañado por la orquesta de Luis Alcaraz, obteniendo un gran éxito.

Actúa en muchos lugares del país y en La Habana actúa en los bailables de La Tropical y en el Sierra. En 1960 comienza sus actuaciones en el cabaret Night and Day.

Benny recibió una propuesta para realizar una gira por Europa, especialmente Francia, pero la rechazó por miedo a viajar en avión. Este miedo venía motivado por los tres accidentes que sufrió.

En los años 60 el estado de salud de Benny se agrava. Hace mucho tiempo que no bebe, pero su hígado está irreversiblemente dañado. El 16 de febrero de 1963, tres días antes de morir, Benny actúa en Palmira. Todo el día lo pasa en la cama, pero por la noche actúa y lo hace con éxito. En el intermedio se va al coche a tumbarse. Vuelve al escenario y canta Dolor y Perdón, Maracaibo y Castellanos que bueno baila usted.

De vuelta a La Habana empeora su salud. En La Habana ingresa en el hospital de emergencias. El día 19 de febrero de 1963, Benny Moré muere en la cama 22 de la Sala H a las 9:15 horas.

Entre sus inolvidables números recordamos:

Elige tú que canto yo
Buena, bonita y barata
Santa Isabel de Las Lajas
Santiago de Cuba
Esa mulata
Palma Soriano

Todas esas melodías nos hacen evocar al Bárbaro del Ritmo, de quien dijo el Poeta Nacional Nicolás Guillén: "...nace ahora en su muerte para no morir mas el hombre a quien toda Cuba ha llorado "con lágrimas que mojan" , pero cuya voz suena como nunca, sin parar ni apagarse en el aire nuestro de cada día."

Benny Moré, el Bárbaro del Ritmo - Benny Moré, the Barbarian of Rhythm - Beny Moré (alternate spelling)


Esta página fue actualizada / this page was updated on 07-Jun-2013
English:  All editorials and letters to the editor on are personal opinions of those people who write them and do not necessarily reflect the position of, Inc. If you wish to comment on this article, please send your letter to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Español:  Todo los editoriales y cartas al editor en son opiniones personales de aquellos que los escriben y no reflejan necesariamente la posición de SalsaPower.  Si deseas comentar sobre este artículo, envía tu carta a:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.